2021 Festive 500 - Day 3

 

Day 3 - Ride 2 for the day, again earning sweat drops with the Diesel Army

  • Day 3: December 26
    • Target - 60km
    • Achieved: 60.5km
    • Method: Two separate rides. a) Rapha Festive 500 event on Suki's Playground (timed event 60 minutes) and b) some more Pace Partner time with the Diesel Army. 
      • I was just under 30km when the Rapha event ended, but enjoyed the descent I was on and finished out an even 30km before logging out.
      • The Rapha event's route (Suki's Playground) was more effort than I expected, most of the riders were flying past me.  I got tempted to push harder than I should have.  I was pretty burnt at the end and was glad to get some lunch.  
      • I wasn't sure if I should come back for more after eating, but fortune favors the bold, as they say.
      • The first 15 minutes of the 2nd ride with the Pace Partner really hurt. The middle 30 minutes flew by, and the last 15 minutes was pretty hard. 
      • Starting the first ride at 11am my time was more of a mental challenge than I expected. I normally ride much much earlier, and all of the waiting around raised my anxiety levels.  
    • Nutrition: 1.5 bottles of HEED, 1 Hammer Gel (2nd ride), and a Clif bar at the start (brunch).  I paused between the Rapha event the Pace Partner time and made a grilled turkey and brie sandwich (yum!).
    • Good: I'm now at 650k+ sweat drops. I might have enough for the Madone by the end of the week. 
    • Bad:  As stated above, the Rapha 500 'official' event on Suki's Playground had more climbing than I expected, and I pushed hard in the first lap to stay with the people around me.  This hurt. I should have dialed back and stayed in the blue zone. Oops. 
    • Ugly: I am hoping I didn't ruin my legs for tomorrow. I planned that today would be an 'easy' day and I could charge hard tomorrow to get ahead of the curve a bit. I am doing more km per day than I'm used to, but need to average close to 70 km per day to finish by the 31st. It would be good to do 80 or even 100km tomorrow and not be ruined every day that I'm off work.

Comments