2021 Festive 500 - Day 4

 

Getting work done in my "new office" - the flats.  After many months away from this route, I feel like I live here now.

  • Day 4: December 27
    • Target - 60km
    • Achieved: 102km
    • Method: Laps on Tempus Fugit on a custom 4hr Structured Workout ("The Grind").
      • After expending more energy than I expected, I really wanted a rest day. But, if I waive off now, it means I likely won't finish the Festive500. Math and ability are both against me. 
      • "The Grind" gave me 4hrs of structured resistance all safely within the Blue.  I wouldn't be fast, but I would be riding. I set the workout to give me a different resistance every 60 seconds - so every minute I had a new arch to chase.
      • I was stiff and sore at the start, but by the 20 minute mark I was doing ok. Tired, sure, but ok. 
      • I paused the workout and got off the bike at the 60 minute mark. Re-apply Butt'r, and stretch. 
      • At 1:20, I had a pretty sharp cramp in my left calf and behind my knee. I'd never had anything quite like it. I thought maybe I could ride through it, but at 1:25 I couldn't keep going. I got off the bike and stretched. I had accrued less than 45 km and truly thought my Festive 500 was done.
      • I tenderly got back on and decided to make it to the top of the hour. The leg was tender, but I could work with it.
      • At the 2:00 mark, I hit my minimum distance - 60km - and decided to keep going. More kms will help the rest of the week, and I truly should try to work ahead.  
      • I changed bibs and gloves and restarted The Grind.  Changing out the sweaty bibs was the BEST THING EVER.  Paused again at 2:30, 2:50, and then rode the last 10km.  
    • Nutrition: 2 bottles of HEED, 1 bottle of PERPETUEM (4 scoops), some bottled water, 2 Hammer Gels, and a Clif bar at the 1:00 mark.  The Perpetuem made me burpy all day, which is new, and drinking that much made me feel very sloshy.  I had plenty of energy and no concern of bonking, but my stomach was sour with "sweetness overload."  Perpetuem has served me well for a good long time, but was disappointed with the burps and bloat today. I have some packs of peanuts on the bike stand and will grab them tomorrow. 
    • Good: Three good things - 
      • 1. I am old, large, and slow, so my stats are nothing to brag about.  However, this metric century was 30 minutes and ~20 watts average better than October.  What a difference 3 months (and Zwift Academy Road) make.
      • 2. I earned the 100 ride-ons badge. I finished at 160 ride-ons.  
      • 3. I wanted a minimum of 60km but really /needed/ 100km to feel like I was still in the game and obtained that.  I need to average 58km a day to wrap this up.
    • Bad: Riding alone was very much The Grind. I really wanted to go ride with the Diesel pace partner but knew I'd blow my legs up with some of the punchy adjustments that are required. 
    • Ugly: Once again I fought my HRM all day and didn't capture data. 

Comments