Build Me Up 2022 Week 0

 


I just enrolled in the Build Me Up structured workout plan in Zwift.  I will try to do (at least) weekly wrap ups here.  This is the intro post. 

Before I start looking forward, I should look backwards first.

Here's the heart of the problem:  I need to be about 215/220 pounds by mid-July.  Realistically, that means I need to be at that weight by mid-June, or I get to re-buy a rack of clothes.  I have not gained pandemic pounds while teleworking, but I absolutely did put on weight in late 2019 that has never come off, and until recently I'd say that my overall capability has slid considerably.  

Hence Zwift. And rucking outdoors.

Before the holidaze, I was continuing to build base, working back through the Zwift Academy workouts, and attempting to extend my endurance.  This was a mixed bag - my weight was stable (but not down) and although my FTP was rising it was truly a slog.  I don't feel like I did well with the self-designed training plan. I was active, but I'm not sure that my results reflected the effort. 

After the Zwift Academy wrapped up, I completed a ramp test on 21 November and gained considerably - FTP rose from 187 to 211. I felt like this was a little over stated (I favor the style of the ramp test, but after the test struggled to put out FTP effort for more than a few minutes) but I let it ride.  

Through the holidaze, I did pretty well with self-identified goals. I did things that were fun and interesting, and I had fewer rides in Z2 and far more at Tempo or above.  

Major things:

  • Neokyo Badge Hunt Series -- Completed! 
  • Festive500 -- Completed! 
  • Tour de Zwift -- All 8 Stages, and 5/8 at the Standard or Long Length!
  • January and February zFondo series -- Completed!
  • I can now hang with the Diesel Pace Partner indefinitely and easily ("Zoxe," you say, "the D group is only 1.5w/kg" to which I say, "Yah, I know."  Before Thanksgiving, I couldn't do this.)
  • First Alpe run - not fast, but I finished
In my 2022 weight loss journey, I hit a few milestones.  I'm down a little over 10 lbs.  I can fit into most of my work shirts comfortably again.  I can also fit into a specific "Goal Shirt" that I've had hanging next to my dresser. It's a button down dress shirt that I last wore in 2019, that three weeks ago I couldn't without the buttons puckering.  But today -- I put it on.

So, I am calling this Phase 1 complete.  

But what's Phase 2?  I had no idea until a few minutes ago.

Phase 2 will be the Zwift Build Me Up Plus, plan.  The Plus will be some light to medium kettlebell workouts with the intent of stabilizing core. I've slated it for the 10 week option, as we'll have a week's vacation on week #11. 

I admittedly debated what to do for Phase 2. Paid coach? Shorter plan?  Go back to a self-designed plan?  Mottiv?  

But fundamentally I love biking and I love Zwift, and I'm curious what BME will do for me.

There will be a few sacrifices. I won't be able to jump on most pop up events (I will need my rest days). I will try juggle the plan to allow completion of the March zFondo, but otherwise I think I'm going to be consumed by this. 

On the plus side, I can select courses that will push my elevation (Tron Bike) or acquisition of route badges. 

Starting stats:
  • FTP: 211 (I am choosing NOT to retest as I feel that the November test was overstated)
  • Weight: 232.2 (after this morning's workout)
  • Zwift Level: 23

Comments