Week 2

 



I was on the road Monday to Friday this week for work, so I had plenty of time to let my legs rest.  I packed my workout gear, but as these things tend to go, 10h onsite meant zero energy for fighting with a hotel gym bike.  I rode ahead in week 1 (by a day or so), and today (Saturday), I wrapped up Week 2 of the Back to Fitness plan.  

I'll do the usual 'bullet points are cool' update:

  • Back to Fitness
    • I felt like I found my legs again today.  Cadence was up - did the 'over' bits of Over - Unders workout north of 90 rpm and was above 100 rpm for some of it.  In previous weeks I just couldn't reasonably get my cadence up.
    • The rest time did me well; everything felt pretty good despite a fairly high amount of 'on' time in this workout.
  • Zwift Rig
    • I did a pretty thorough laptop update - Windows updates, drivers, firmware, plus the Tour de France Zwift update.  Hoping this adds some stability after random crashes.
    • After some very annoying Bluetooth data drops, I spent $65 for a Tacx ANT+ antenna.  I'd tried ANT+ years ago with a knockoff $15 dongle and connectivity was worse than bt. Today's ride was perfect, so fingers crossed - I hope this solves some of my frustrating problems.
    • I splurged on a Kickr Headwind fan. I'll do a separate post on this (maybe) but while it's spendy, it greatly outperforms the Honeywell fans that I'd bought.  All total, I probably have an equal amount of $$ in several 'cheap' Honeywell fans and the RF remote vs. just buying the Headwind at the outset.  
    • I replaced my trusty (somewhat) Garmin Heart Rate monitor with a Wahoo unit.  The Garmin only sent HR data to one device - and it needs to flow to Zwift.  The Wahoo unit pairs with up to 3 devices, so it will send data to Zwift and also control the Headwind fan.
    • The Headwind is my favorite upgrade in quite awhile. It performs well, and with the on-brand HR monitor, appears to "just work."  
  • What's Next?
    • The Zwift Tour de France events are up. I'm hopeful I can knock out both the challenge (ride in France/Paris) and the climb challenge for ingame swag.
    • I'd like to kick out some longer rides and earn some route badges (and xp) but that may need to wait until after TdF is done.

Comments