Zwift Setup




Around the start of the new year, I realized that I needed to do something different.

Specifically, I recognized that I was doing the same thing each week, expecting a different result.  I needed to lose weight, and get more fit. 

The Twin6 was hanging in the garage taunting me, but:

  • Weather stayed relatively cold (it's January, duh). I can bike comfortably down to the mid 30s, and I can dress for the cold much lower than that - but my lungs revolt after a lap or two.
  • I needed something more convenient.  It gets dark FAST this time of year, and my workday ends have become unpredictable (often after dark).
  • I wanted some pizazz; not just another exercise bike.
Online friends were raving about their Peleton.  I looked closely and read reviews and almost (ALMOST!) pulled the trigger. Honestly, if the wait times weren't long, I might have gone for the Peleton bike.

Looking at alternatives, I settled on a smart trainer and one of my old road bikes (the Surly Cross Check).  (Side note:  The Bianchi would be more comfortable, but the CC has a newer and nicer drivetrain; I never really rode the CC much so I liked the idea of putting some virtual miles on it.)

I set out quickly, without much of a plan, making things up as I went.  Over the past 3 weeks, I have cobbled this setup together.

Initial setup - Tacx Flux S smart trainer with the Surly Cross Check, talking via bluetooth to my aging laptop.  Functional, but I quickly tired of lugging the laptop around whenever I wanted to ride.

Inspections are frequent. Henry keeps standards very high around here.

I replaced the laptop with a "laptop in a box" mini-PC.  Laptop components in a small enclosure.

Setting up the mini-PC, old monitor, and soundbar.  Sherman looks for trouble.

Got rid of the TV Tray shenanigans in favor of this shelf unit.  It's intended as a kitchen/microwave rack, but works in this limited space.  The monitor is a bit low, but there is headroom for a larger 45" flat panel if I go that route down the road.

Sherman inspects my work. The skylight made him squinty.

Added mood lighting via a cheap LCD landscaping light.  It cycles through several colors as I ride and comes with its own remote.

Added a 2nd fan (necessary!).  Both fans are now connected to an RF remote intended for Christmas lights.  It sucks very much to start a ride and realize the fan isn't on (ask me how I know!)

Refinement:  Added a 2nd mood light.

This is a work in progress, like all things.  Full list is here:
  • Tacx Flux S smart trainer
  • SHIMANO CS-6700 Ultegra Bicycle Cassette (10-Speed, 11/28T)
    >> the Flux S does NOT come with a cassette, get the one for your bike and the tools to install it.
  • CYCLINGDEAL Bike Bicycle Trainer Floor Mat - 30" x 72"
  • ROCKBROS Bike Sweat Guard
  • Garmin HRM-Dual Heart Rate Monitor
  • GEEDIAR Bike Front Wheel Riser Block 
  • Honeywell HT-900 TurboForce fan (x2)
  • DEWENWILS Remote Outlet Power Switch
  • Beelink U57 mini-PC
    >> Intel Core i5-5257u Processor & Windows 10 Pro, 8G DDR3L/256G SSD High Performance 
  • Amazon Basics keyboard
  • Logitec B-100 wired mouse ($8 mouse!)
  • Phisson USB soundbar
  • old Dell monitor
  • Mr. IRONSTONE Kitchen Baker's Rack Utility Storage Shelf Microwave Stand 
  • RUICAIKUN LED Flood Light landcaping light (x2)
(As I built this list, I realized that all of this was procured from Amazon.....)

A few more notes:
The landscaping light:  there are dozens of these kinds of lights on Amazon, I got the cheapest and smallest version to try.  It works from its own RF remote and has various settings for single color or fading through various colors.  It cycles a little too quickly for me (I'd like it to be more mellow) but do think it adds to the room.

A few have asked about the mini-PC.  Mine is a lower-end spec, and cost just under $300.  I run it at 1080P (though that may be a limitation of the monitor, not the PC), but it was intended as a functional rig to get me in the door without breaking the bank.  




Comments